Home » World News » The attack in Barcelona: authorities suspect large terrorist cell

The attack in Barcelona: authorities suspect large terrorist cell

Friday, August 18th, 2017 | World News

Behind the attacks in Spain is apparently a larger terror cell. The Spanish security authorities assume that several violent acts are related to different places.

Catalan Minister of the Interior, Joaquim Forn, told the radio station RAC1 that there was a connection between the acts in Barcelona and the coastal town of Cambrils. The investigation also covered an explosion on Wednesday evening in Alcanar, where a man was killed. The number of death victims in the attacks rose to 14.

Several acts in different places
"We are not talking about a group with one or two people, but about a large group," the minister said. Perhaps there is also a link with an incident on Thursday, when a car driver in Barcelona broke through a police block after the first attack. Two policemen were injured, the driver killed.

  Four suspects were arrested. Minister of the Interior Forn stated that a suspect had been taken into custody in Ripoll in the north of Catalonia. Two more were also arrested in Ripoll and Alcanar on Thursday. The arrest of a fourth suspect, the police announced, without details.

The Terrormiliz IS claimed the attack in Barcelona. He said it was a response to calls from the terrorists to attack their supporters, countries that are fighting in the international coalition against the extremists in Syria and Iraq, said in a statement.

 Car hired with stolen papers?
Spanish media called the name of a suspect who had reported his ID documents to the police in Ripoll as stolen. These documents were found in the van in Barcelona. The man, a Frenchman with Moroccan roots, claimed that his brother had perhaps stolen his documents. The radio station RTVE reported, citing the police that the brother might have driven the van.

The driver had disappeared on Friday. "We do not know if he is still in Barcelona," said Interior Minister Forn. The man had not been able to be shot after the fact, because too many people had stopped in his environment.

A few hours after the attack with 13 dead in Barcelona, ​​assassins drove in the nearby small town of Cambrils with their car pedestrian on the beach promenade. One woman died, five more people were injured. All five men were killed when the police were exchanged. The killing suspects carried dummies of explosive belts on the body.

Minutes for the victims
Spanish King Felipe and Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, together with thousands, held a minute of silence for the victims of the terrorist attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils. Afterwards, the participants applauded the ceremony at Plaça de Catalunya and called "I am not afraid". Among the victims of the terrorist attack in Barcelona were two Italians and a woman from Belgium. This was confirmed by the authorities of both countries.

13 Germans suffered injuries in the attack in Barcelona, ​​as the Foreign Ministry explained. Spokesman Martin Schäfer said some had suffered serious injuries and fought for their lives.

Media reports, according to which Germans were killed, he can not confirm. This is not to be excluded. Also confirmed were the injuries of 26 Frenchmen and people from Denmark, Ireland and Romania. Australia reported a citizen as missing.

Related

Moto3 Aragon: I win the Windschattenduel

24. September 2017 – 12:41 Joan Mir is the world champion title in

Why LG leaves its airport robots on trav

LG presented its airport robot for the first time at the CES electronics

Fernando Alonso denies: would never give

31 August 2017 – 7:05 pm Fernando Alonso denies that he has intentionally

Bachelorette Kaitlyn Finale Recap

Bachelorette Kaitlyn Finale Recap Bachelorette Kaitlyn Finale Recap Vlogs Bourbon & Bordeaux –